Hello, it's mosia here :-)
Today I'd like to show you how I make my frames.
For my tutorial I choose a mixed-media frame - don't worry, it's "light" mixed-media ;-)
The ready frame looks like this:
OK. So let's start with "ingredients":
- a frame to alter: the best is white for this kind of frame but if you have got ( ex. black - like me ) you just need sandpaper to clear it out;
- white gesso;
- a spatula;
- an emery board;
- a piece of fiberglass mesh - it will be our stencil;
- acrylic liquid medium;
- scrapbook paper: to decorate edges of the frame;
- a brush
- a set of decorations ( flowers, pearls, string.... ) which you want to use to decorate your frame.
And now we are ready to work.
1. If you have a white frame you can skip this step but if you don't, well, you need a while to clear your frame out. I had a black one unfortunately, but it was my last so I needed to use that one.
So, grab your sandpaper and get to work:
2. The frame is ready. Now we're going to use our "stencil" - put the gesso on the frame through a stencil:
After 2-3 minutes remove it from the frame:
Here you can see what a nice effect does the fiberglass mesh make:
3. When it will dry, we have to paint our frame with diluted gesso:
You see, now the pattern is all white.
4. Decorating: here you do what you want. Of course, it's easier to do it at the end but this time I did it at this stage of work - it's really not so important.
Below, my version:
5. Now, glue the stripes of paper to the edges of the frame ( if you want, you don't have to do this - you can leave the edges painted only with gesso, it also looks great ):
6. The last step - finishing.
Firstly, we have to grab our emery boards and rub the paper edges:
Can you see the difference?
And now, one more time, paint the whole frame with acrylic liquid medium - the paper edges won't look like paper anymore.
The frame got the gloss now ;-)
One more time, the ready frame:
I hope you liked my tutorial and maybe you will show us your mixed-media frames -
I'd be very pleased if you do :-)